About The District | History | Brief Description | General Information

ABOUT THE DISTRICT

Situated between rivers Ganga and Sai, Unnao has, since ancient times, made place in the pages of history. The district has been popular from the view of history, literature, religious and cultural heritage.

The District is divided into 5 Tehsils Unnao, Hasanganj, Safipur, Purwa & Bighapur and 16 development Blocks namely - Ganj Moradabad, Bangarmau, Fatehpur Chaurasi, Safipur, Miyanganj, Auras, Hasanganj, Nawabganj, Purwa, Asoha, Hilauli, Bighapur, Sumerpur,Bichia, Sikandarpur Sirausi, Sikandarpur Karan.

Local traditions connect a number of well known personages like Parashuram, Dasharatha, Sharvana, Valmiki, Sita, Lava-Kusha, Rama, Bakasura, Krishna, Mayuradhvaja, Ashvatthama and Astika, mentioned in the Ramayana & Mahabharata   and the Puranas, with differrent places in the district, adding sanctity to them.

Many brave personalities who played a major role in the Country's freedom struggle and sacrificed their lives for the country, were born here. Popular among them are Raja Rao Ram Bux Singh, Maulana Hasarat Mohani, Ram Beni Madhav, Pd. Vishambher Dayal Tripathi, Thakur Jasa Singh, Narpat Singh, Barjor Singh, Hathi Singh, Devi Bux Singh, Mansab Ali, Kasturi Singh, Bhopal Singh and Chandrika Bux Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad.

The District is not left behind in the field of literature too, having produced learned persons right from Maharishi Valmiki to Gaya Pd. Shukla, Surya Kant Tripathi 'Nirala', Maulana Hasrat Mohani, Nand Dulare Bajpayee, Sumitra Kumari Sinha, Chandra Bhushan Trivedi (Ramai Kaka), Dr. Ram Vilas Sharma, Jagdambika Pd. Misra, Bhagwati Charan Misra, Pratap Narayan Misra and Shiv Mangal Singh 'Suman'

 

HISTORY OF THE DISTRICT

The freedom struggle of 1857-1858 was followed by the transfer of power from the East India Company to the British Crown. As soon as order had been restored, the civil administration was re-established in the district which was named district Unnao, with headquarters at Unnao. The size of the district was however small till 1869, when it assumed its present form. The same year the town of Unnao was constituted a Municipality.

 

In ancient times the area covered by the present district of Unnao formed part of the region known as Kosala and was later included in the Subha of Awadh or simply Awadh. This tract appears to have seen civilized and settled life since very early times. Finds from and traces of ancient remains at several places in the district are however, fairly interesting and testify to the antiquity of those sites.

 

Hiuen Tsang, the famous Chinese pilgrim to India, stayed at Kannauj for 3 months in 636 AD. From here he journeyed a distance of about 26 kms and reached the city of Na-fo-ti-po-ku-lo (Navadevakula) which stood on the eastern bank of Ganga. The city was about 5 km in circumference and had in or about it, a magnificent Deva Temple, several Buddhist Monasteries and Stupas. This place, which is about 3 kms north-west of Bangarmau in Tehsil Safipur,   has been identified by some scholars with Nawal and is supposed to represent the site of an important ancient city, believed to have been upturned in the 13th century by the curse of a saint, and still called Aundha Khera or Lauta Shahr both meaning an upturned city. The dargah of the Muslim sant, whose curse is said to have befallen the city, is not only the oldest Muslim monument at Bangarmau but perhaps, in the entire district.

 

By far the most important ancient site in the district is perhaps Sanchankot, also known as Sujankot, which lies in village Ramkot, in pargana Bangarmau of Tehsil Safipur about 55 km north-west of Unnao.

 

HISTORY OF DISTRICT AS ADMINISTRATIVE UNIT

In the days of Akbar, the tract covered by the district was included in sirkar Lucknow of  the province of Avadh, and the mahals of his time appear generally speaking, to have been close predecessors of the parganas of today.

 

During the days of nawabs of Avadh, the eastern portion of the district formed the chakla of Purwa. The portion of the district lying to the north of this chakla was included in the chaklas of Rasulabad and Safipur which also included the mahal of Mohan. Pargana Auras belonged to the chakla of Sandila belonging to district Hardoi. The tract comprised in Pargana Patan, Panhan, Bihar, Bhagwantnagar, Magaryar, Ghatampur and Daundia Khera formed part of the chakla of Baiswara.

 

After the annexation of Awadh by the British in February 1856, the district, then called district Purwa came into existence and the headquarter was shifted from Purwa to Unnao. The district then contained 13 parganas namely Bangarmau, Fatehpur Chaurasi, Safipur, Pariar, Sikandarpur, Unnao, Harha, Asiwan-Rasulabad, Jhalotar-Ajgain, Gorinda Parsandan, Purwa, Asoha and Mauranwan. In 1869, parganas Panhan Patan, Bihar, Bhagwantnagar, Magaryar, Ghatampur and Daundia khera were included.

 

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF NAGAR PALIKA PARISHAD UNNAO

 

 

The district is named after its Headquarter town, Unnao. About 1200 years ago, the site of this town was covered with extensive forests. Godo Singh, a Chauhan Rajput, cleared the forests probably in the the 3rd quarter of the 12th Century and founded a town, called Sawai Godo, which shortly afterwards passed into the hands of the rulers of the Kannauj, who appointed Khande Singh as the Governor of the place. Unwant Singh, a Bisen Rajput and a lieutenant of the Governor, killed him and built a fort here, renaming the place as Unnao after himself.

District Unnao Situated between the cities of Lucknow & Kanpur, Unnao has a rich heritage of sword and pen, having produced great freedom fighters, poets and writers. The freedom struggle of 1857-1858 was followed by the transfer of power from the East India Company to the British Crown. As soon as order had been restored, the civil administration was re-established in the district which was named district Unnao, with headquarters at Unnao. The size of the district was however small till 1869, when it assumed its present form. The same year the town of Unnao was constituted a Municipality.

Under Section 16 of the North Western Provinces and Oudh Municipalities Act, 1883, the Hon’ble the Lieutenant Governor and Chief Commissioner is pleased to appoint the 1st of September, 1884 as the day on which the Municipal Board for the Municipality of Unao shall come into existence (Notification No. 406 dated 16 July, 1884 Govt. Gazette dated 19.07.1884 p/144).

Under Section 21 of Act XV of 1867 (An Act to make better provision for the appointment of Municipal Committees in the Punjab and for other purposes), the Governor General in Council is pleased to extend the provisions of the Act to the towns mentioned below Oudh :-

Oonao in the district of Oonao. The municipality unnao is upgraded from III to Ist Class Board in year 1966 (1st December, 1966).

 

GENERAL INFORMATION

Area                                                             :        2.246 Sq. Km.

 

Year of Establishment      :        1984

 

Location                                             :               Near Nawabganj town in Unnao

district of Uttar Pradesh

 

Head Quarters                                        Lucknow

 

Climate                                              :        Temp. in Celsius

                                                                        Max. 45 in Summer

                                                                         Min. 3 in Winter

Nearest Railway Station    :        Kusumbi ( 2 Km.)

 

Nearest Airport                           :        Amausi, Lucknow  (30 Km.)

Nearest Hospital / Market / Post & Telegraph / Office / Telephone / Petrol pump / Bank

 
 

 


:             Unnao

 

 

 

Best time to visit              :        November to February